Andrew Williams Solicitors Request a Call Back
Home » Studying and Working in the UK

Studying and Working in the UK

Working and Studying in the United Kingdom


Can I stay in the UK to work after I have finished studying?

This depends on whether you meet the requirements for any of the schemes that the UK Government operates.

At the moment, the schemes that are most significant for students who have finished their studies are:



Working in the UK after your studies

What is happening with Tier 1 (Post-Study Work)?


This work route will close in April 2012. We do not yet have the details of what will replace it. However, it looks as if you will need to meet most of the requirements of Tier 2, except for the Resident Labour Market Test, or of a new student entrepreneur route which does not yet exist. This means that a Tier 2 employer will not have to show that the job was advertised and no UK or EEA nationals could do it. However, the job will have to be a graduate level job with a specified minimum wage, and the employer must have a Tier 2 licence. There will be no specific provision for you if you need to complete a period of work in order to qualify in a profession. You should speak to your college or university if you think this is likely to cause you problems.


The UK Border Agency has published new Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) guidance which came into force on 6 April 2011. The application fees increase on this date to £474 for entry clearance (a visa) outside the UK, £594 for a postal application in the UK and £918 for a premium application in the UK. Make sure you use the most recent application form on the UK Border Agency's website.


Call: 0845 2001958 today for instant advice 


Jamaican national client’s appeal was..


Ghanaian Client married European Citizen..


Australian national living in Germany..


Jamaican national with no leave to remain..


Malaysian national living within the UK..


Nigerian national granted leave to remain..


Malaysian national refused entry into..


Jamaican national and two young children..


Iraqi national facing deportation granted..


Our website contains some general information regarding UK Immigration Rules and Regulations. However, if you require specific advice related to your case then you should speak to one of our advisors. You can contact our Leeds office on 0113 2441911. 


Contact us


If you complete our advice assement form then we will contact you to discuss what your options are and how we can help.

Remember !! We are an experienced firm of Immigraton Solicitors providing cost effective immigration solutions for all our clients. If you need good advice on any immigration related matter then we would be happy to arrange either a telephone consultation, email consultation or a one to one consultation at one of our offices.

Get in touch

Unity Business Centre

26 Roundhay Road


LS7 1AB Map

t. +(44) 0113 2441911